James Macrosty was born in Crieff in 1824 , the son of a weaving agent Alexander MacRosty in the Bridgend area of Crieff . In the early 19th century hand loom cotton weaving was the largest employer of people in the town and Alexander MacRosty was one of a handful of men who bought and sold the cotton webs to the weavers . James grew up at the local school where he did well and on leaving entered the legal firm of Gowans in the town . He became a Bank Agent for the British Linen Bank at time prior to Banks having resident managers .. He became involved in the politics of the town and was elected chief magistrate . He married Lilias Brough Kay from Edinburgh and had a large family by her . Tragedy struck when a number of his children pre deceased him . James MacRosty died in 1906 . He gave to the town ground on the Comrie Road which he had laid out as a park .
In 1906 his brother Alexander donated the bandstand which still stands in the Park . It is in fact a listed building and has been painstakingly renovated during the overall refurbishment , back to its original state but enhanced with the addition of electricity to facilitate performances slightly different to those of the brass bands of yesteryear !
In 1908 his daughter Lilias donated the art decor tea room ( see below ) which stood on an elevated position until its condition deteriorated so much that it had to be demolished in 1971 . There now stands in its place an attractive pergola ( see below ) .
The Park benefited from further additions when 1922 former Provost Walter Mungall donated the ground on the other side of the Turret Burn which was duly named Mungall Park . In 1925 , the Town Council added ground on the Crieff side of the original donation and erected tennis courts and a pavilion thereon . In 1938 ex Councillor Taylor gifted the field adjoining the Milnab Mill and this has become Tay;or Park . The Fifth and last acquisition was the woodland stretch joining Mungall Park with MacRosty Park near the Turret Weir . The access to this is now is by means of a wooden Bridge constructed in the 1990s by Territorial Army engineers. This was known originally as Morgan's Wood after the saw mill of that name which was on the site of the modern chalet development off Turretbank Road .
The Lade and adjoining pathways in a somewhat less manicured form than at
Milnab Mill and the field that is now Taylor Park
The Recreation or Play Area